2015 SALT LAKE CITY BIKE TOUR DETAILS
The Salt Lake City Bike Tour was the first of its kind in Utah! The 25-mile Bike Tour offers biking fans the opportunity for a non-stop ride through the most scenic and spectacular parts of the Salt Lake Valley.
This unique opportunity to ride the marathon course offers cyclists other great perks as well. Included in the entry will be a participant shirt, a goody bag filled with great stuff from our sponsors, and great food at Finish line area.
This is an official event of the Salt Lake City Marathon weekend. Our goal is to make the Salt Lake City Bike Tour a thrilling experience for the participants. The tour would like to encourage EVERYONE to review the rider rules below. Because our goal is to provide our participants with a quality experience, we want everyone to have the opportunity to enjoy the event safely.
You don't have to be a pro. All you need is a bike and the ability to maintain an average speed of 15 mph and complete the course in 1:45.
The Salt Lake City Bike Tour is a ride, not a race. It is a family-friendly event and participants must respect the safety of others.
Date and Time
Saturday, April 18, 2015
Bike Tour: 6:00 am
Wheelchair and Hand cycle start: 6:10 am
Marathon start: 7:00 am
Half Marathon start: 7:00 am
5K: 7:10 am
Kid’s Marathon: 10:45 am
Bike Tour Course Map
For the official Salt Lake City Marathon Bike Tour course map, please click here.
Timing and Speed
The Bike Tour is a non-competitive event. There will be no official times given to participants. A timing clock will be near the finish line to show elapsed time. Participants must finish the 25-mile course in 1 hour 45 minutes while maintaining an average speed of 15 mph. A maximum speed of 30 mph has been established by the Salt Lake City Police Department.
These minimum and maximum speeds have been set, and will be enforced on the course by Bike Tour Marshals and the specific city’s Public Safety Departments.
Riders without bibs will not be allowed on the course. Security personnel and course marshals will be located at the start and throughout the course to remove riders without bibs.
Bike Tour Rules
- Arrive at the ride on time, ready to ride; start time means rolling out time, not arrival time.
- FOR SAFETY REASONS, helmets are required for participation in the Bike Tour. Riders not wearing helmets will be asked to leave the course and will not be allowed to participate in the tour.
- Show up prepared; have your spares, tools, etc. that you will need.
- There will be no late starts.
- Ride in a responsible & predictable way. Always wear your helmet.
- Radios, Walkmans & headphones are prohibited.
- No Drafting.
- Use caution when descending hills; brake lightly and hold onto your handle bars securely .
- Pass on the left side of a cyclist after yelling out, "on your left".
- Know your limits.
- Maintain an average speed of 15 mph in order to finish within the 1hour 45 minute time limit. If you are not able to maintain that pace, then you should not participate in the event.
- Don't feel that you have to keep up with the lead group. Some riders try to stay with the fast group too long and then become exhausted for the rest of the ride.
- Riders will be expected to obey the laws of the road and use courtesy, caution and common sense.
- Bike Tour Course Marshals will enforce the minimum speed and will disqualify participants who cannot finish the course in the allotted time.
- A maximum speed of 30 mph has been established by the Salt Lake City Police Department.
- Recumbent, Mountain, Tandem, Electric-Assist, Cruiser, Hand cycle and Touring Bikes are allowed on the course.
Park or Get dropped off:
At the Merrill Engineering Parking lot on the University of Utah Campus, at the corner of North Campus Drive and Wasatch Blvd.
Ride only 1/2 mile south on Wasatch Drive to the starting area under the George S. Eccles Legacy Bridge.
Course Aid, Communications & Medical Support
Water will be available at the Event Start and also at the Finish Line. There will not be any aid stations along the course. You must carry your own refreshments.
Representatives from the event's medical & communication team will be stationed at each of 14 locations along the course to observe the participants and assist in any medical injury and/or emergency.
FREE Window Clings for All Bike Tour Participants!
The Salt Lake City Marathon is doing its part to promote safety for all cyclists in the Salt Lake Valley. Check out our new window clings that each bike tour participant will receive.