Our Cause- Running to Eradicate Cancer
The Huntsman Hometown Heroes has been selected as the Salt Lake City Marathon's charity running program.
The Huntsman Hometown Heroes (HHH) is a fundraising program that provides athletes with a fundraising webpage, personalized coaching, special access to capped events and a team jersey while raising much-needed funds for cancer research at Huntsman Cancer Institute. Staff, coaches, fellow participants, and honored patients support committed participants in meeting both their physical and financial goals.
Each HHH participant commits to raising a pre-determined amount of money for participating in this event ($500 for the marathon, $250 for the 5k). HCF does not spend money on travel to races or social functions, instead, it relies on volunteer leadership and coaching and asks participants to pay their own way or choose events in their hometown. Because of the generous benefactors, Jon and Karen Huntsman, who cover administrative expenses, donations to Huntsman Cancer Foundation are maximized.
This program matters to the Salt Lake City Marathon. Huntsman Cancer Institute matters to this community. That’s why you should run for research.
This year, dedicate your run to cancer research. Since 2003, Hometown Heroes have raised more than $2.5M because people like you stepped up.
The Huntsman Hometown Heroes program:
- Rewards you with fun training gear and a team jersey
- Connects your team with running/walking and cycling coaches & fundraising help
- Registers you for the run, walk or cycling event
- Provides you with VIP treatment on training runs and at the finish
- Puts the funds you raise to work immediately in cancer research
Participants commit to the following:
- Pay a non-refundable processing fee ($10 for the 5K/ $25 for the half, full or bike tour)
- Train for and run/walk in the Salt Lake City marathon, half marathon, bike tour or 5K
- Raise the minimum amount (track donations with your own website)
- Expand Huntsman Cancer Foundation’s "Circle of Hope," by telling all your friends and family
- Have fun!
Click Here to request additional information about the Huntsman Hometown Heroes Program
Join the Huntsman Hometown Heroes
Run the Hyundai Hope On Wheels 5K! Join us in the fight against pediatric cancer and run the Hyundai Hope On Wheels 5K. 50% of all revenue will be donated to the Hyundai Hope On Wheels program.
The mission of Hope on Wheelsis to raise awareness for childhood cancer, donate life-saving research funds and celebrate the lives of children affected by this diesease. The program provides grants to eligible institutions nationwide pursuing innovative pediatric cancer research. These grants are designed to develop new treatments and ultimately a cure.
Every 36 minutes a child is diagnosed with cancer in the U.S., the equivalent of an entire classroom. This adds up to almost 15,000 new cases of childhood cancer each year. However, only 3% of federal cancer funds are allocated to pediatric cancers. Because of this we are committed to providing the much-needed support in the fight against childhood cancer. Hope on Wheels' ultimate goal is to fund the needed research that will bring about the day when no child ever has to hear the words, "You have cancer."